Saturday, November 4, 2017

Cultural Appropriation and Halloween (part 1)

In class the other day, we discussed halloween costumes and if cultural appropriation should be applied to children dressing up as Disney princesses. For instance, say a little white girl wanted to dress up as a Disney Princess for halloween, would she only be allowed to dress up as, say, Cinderella, Snow White, or Sleeping Beauty? What if she wanted to dress up as Pocahontas or Mulan? Seeing this from the flip side, what if a black girl wanted to dress up as a princess? Would she only have to option to be Tiana? What happens if she was born before the movie Princess and the Frog was made, and there was no black Disney princess represented? A lot of debate has gone around recently about parents letting their kids dress up as Moana or Maui for halloween if they are not of  Polynesian decent. When I was younger, my favorite outfit was my Pocahontas dress and I wore it all the time, but I never got in trouble for it because 1) I was just a little girl, and 2) I wasn't trying to represent the Native American culture as a whole in my outfit, I just really loved Pocahontas. Issues arise when people have the wrong motives when choosing/designing their outfits. Children's motives, in my opinion, are purely innocent when choosing their outfits. Others, though, I cannot advocate for because there are people out there who have the wrong motives or just don't think when designing costume's and violate many, many cultural rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment